Map: The houseboat where Andrew Cunanan committed suicide

Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140

The map below shows the houseboat (black marker) and its related locations.

You can use one of the following shortcuts to open this location in Google Maps or Apple Maps:

Google Maps Apple Maps

Main Article

The map above belongs to the following article:

The houseboat where Andrew Cunanan committed suicide

Death Location in Miami Beach, Florida

On July 23rd, 1997, spree killer Andrew Cunanan committed suicide on a houseboat that was moored at this section of Collins Avenue in Miami Beach, Florida.

The incident took place eight days after he shot and killed Italian fashion designer Gianni Versace at his nearby mansion.

Related Locations

The following locations are related to the houseboat. Please note that the descriptions for these images may lack context if you have not read the main article.

News Cafe

News Cafe

On the morning of his murder, Versace left his home at around 8.30 a.m. and walked to the News Cafe at 800 Ocean Drive.

The cafe in question is just 0.3 miles south of the mansion—a short, three-minute walk.

When he entered the News Cafe, he exchanged pleasantries with the manager, ordered a coffee, and purchased copies of Vogue and The New Yorker.

Usually, Versace's assistant carried out these daily tasks on his behalf. However, on the morning of his death, the fashion designer decided to take the trip himself.


Andrew Cunanan garage

Following the shooting, Andrew Cunanan ran to this garage on 13th Street and Collins Avenue, where he proceeded to change into a new set of clothes.

The police later found his original outfit lying on the ground beside a red 1995 Chevrolet pickup truck that had been reported stolen from New Jersey.

Andrew Cunanan's houseboat

Andrew Cunanan houseboat

The houseboat where Cunanan committed suicide was situated on Indian Creek, beside Collins Avenue.

It was owned by a German citizen named Torsten Reineck, who named it "The New Year".

"The New Year" had been reportedly lying vacant for months before the incident.

At around 4 p.m. on July 23, 1997, the caretaker for the houseboat entered the front door, which had been left slightly ajar. After stepping inside, he heard a gunshot.

Thinking someone had fired it at him, he immediately retreated and instructed his son to call the police.

For the next four hours, the authorities laid siege to the property.

When a SWAT team finally boarded the houseboat at 8 p.m., they found Cunanan dead in the upstairs master bedroom. The 27-year-old had shot himself in the face with the same handgun that he had used during Versace's murder.

The property sank in December 1997 after a problem with its bilge pump caused it to take on water. It was demolished by the city on January 28th, 1998, after its owner failed to meet the deadline to repair it.

View Location


Follow us on Facebook or Twitter:

Facebook X Twitter